Here is an update on Mango’s fight.
I have in fact been sent a small bottle of Metro Meds from a wonderful member in Koko’s Goldfish Forum. Of course I am so greatful that someone had taken the time to ship this to me, especially when I have been so broke lately!
Mango is still active, and he still eats but at the same time, my poor little guy is getting more and more ill and I’m starting to wonder if the Metro Meds are taking any effect.
For the hefty 15 grams that Mango weighs, he’s consuming 8 pellets of medication daily soaked in garlic guard. I’m cleaning his tank daily and trying to keep him as stress free as possible. His pine-coning has gotten visibly worse, he’s lost scales and now has blisters. Poor Mango is also darting, hiding and sadly hanging out near the bubble curtain. I am worried! But I will continue to treat him and make him comfortable until he either gets all better or gives up on living.
Pine-coning is now visible from the sides…
Mango now has blisters where he lost his scales…
Keep your fingers and fins crossed for him please!
So as I have stated before in a previous entry Mango has mysteriously come down with dropsy. Although I had done an epsom treatment on my little guy it seems it hasn’t been enough to rid him of his problem and it has worsened. It’s very rare that a fish with the beginning symtoms of dropsy will be cured just by epsom, in most cases it will need medical intervention.
As you see from the picture here he is almost in full bloat:
It does break my heart to see such a young fish suffer like this.
Over at Koko’s a wonderful person has offered to ship me some metro-meds (which is a metronidazole enhanced food to feed your fish). I’m still anticipating it nervously in the mail but unfortunately days count and so with a lot of searching at my local fish stores I haven’t been able to find metronidazole for sale on shelves. It was by chance a fish store employee generously offered me some from the back room for the sake of helping my fish and so with the help from those lovely people at Koko’s Goldfish I have concocted a medication to keep Mango from getting worse.
Now I just need to feed this food to him according to his weight! Mango is a hefty 15 grams of pure fishy muscle! (bad joke, I know!)
I have also purchased Garlic Guard for it’s anti becterial and anti parasitical properties and have decided to soak his food in it once a week as a new regimen.
As a side note I have also purchased a new ammonia kit (as I had finally run out) and new suction cups for my heater since my previous ones broke!
Please keep your fingers and fins crossed for Mango and his fight against dropsy!
Well, now that I have had this tank running for months I think it’s time for a review.
What the kit includes:
• LED lights
• A hood
• Hinges for the hood
• Submersible heater
• Suction cups for heater
• Power cord
• Plastic protector for lights
• BIOWHEEL filter rated for 20 gallons
• Filter media
• Free sample of water conditioners and random fish food
So the kit comes with a considerable amount
Over here is about 100 dollars CAD after taxes. A bit pricey as a couple of those things you could do without or buy cheaper separately than together, but it’s not a big deal.
Good points about these products to point out:
• The heater works very well, it has a sensor that shuts the unit off at the right temperature. It’s completely submersible, seems very durable. It will also heat a cold, empty tank with no fish in it very quickly so it has a lot of power behind it when need be.
• The tank is very well built and sealed, I havent had any tank leaks, cracks or any issues with it. It’s built soundly.
• The hood looks very sleek, it’s visually pleasing, and is rounded instead of geometric in shape. The hood hinges on and is secure on your tank. This item also has an in-built depression for the light with a plastic piece that slides in to protect it from water.
• The LED lights have a night, and day function. It’s very bright but has a low impact on your power.
( I wont mention the filter as I never used it, nor did I use the conditioners or food. It was put in an emergency stash)
The bad points about these products to point out:
• The silicone seal on the tank is sloppy, isn’t visually pleasing but at least it’s thorough.
• The heater suction cups broke within months of use and needed to be replaced (cheaply made!!)
• The hinges of my hood were hard to install and after months of use broke. (It hasn’t even been a year and it broke!!!)
• The hood doesn’t allow the space for multiple filters.
• The hood’s protective slot for the light broke, it also gets cloudy after time and needed to be tossed out.
• The in built slot for the hood doesn’t protect the power cord attachment, it gets water spray on it which if you have hard water gets hard water stain and build up on it.
Well in all honesty, the hood, hinges and suction cups are garbage. The LED after it burns out finally will have to be replaced with a whole new strip which can get pricey. But the tank itself which is the most solid component is actually solidly built and trustworthy. The heater too is actually really nice. It might be in someone’s best interest though, to buy items separately. If I had a choice I don’t think I would get the kit again. This tank is also weird in size, and needs a special kind of stand. It’s 24 x 12 x 18. I had a custom cabinet bought for it and only one store was willing to do it for me.
3/5 stars. Would not recommend it.
How it looked before everything broke:
Just to show the less than 6 month old tank lid and the broken pieces (not even going to bother with the suction cups) :
(broken hood with plastic…)
(broken hinge… with very light use, I open the lid twice a day to feed, and until now once every six days to change the water) It wore out fast
protective plastic slot is broken and clouded from hard water. It’s also a pain to remove and clean!
And here is my new hood replacement, and temporary light solution until I can get a large lightstrip:
Hope this helps you guys out, watch out for products like this. What might work for someone sometimes doesn’t work for others!