Marineland 20 gallon tank kit review
Well, now that I have had this tank running for months I think it’s time for a review.
What the kit includes:
• LED lights
• A hood
• Hinges for the hood
• Submersible heater
• Suction cups for heater
• Power cord
• Plastic protector for lights
• BIOWHEEL filter rated for 20 gallons
• Filter media
• Free sample of water conditioners and random fish food
So the kit comes with a considerable amount
Over here is about 100 dollars CAD after taxes. A bit pricey as a couple of those things you could do without or buy cheaper separately than together, but it’s not a big deal.
Good points about these products to point out:
• The heater works very well, it has a sensor that shuts the unit off at the right temperature. It’s completely submersible, seems very durable. It will also heat a cold, empty tank with no fish in it very quickly so it has a lot of power behind it when need be.
• The tank is very well built and sealed, I havent had any tank leaks, cracks or any issues with it. It’s built soundly.
• The hood looks very sleek, it’s visually pleasing, and is rounded instead of geometric in shape. The hood hinges on and is secure on your tank. This item also has an in-built depression for the light with a plastic piece that slides in to protect it from water.
• The LED lights have a night, and day function. It’s very bright but has a low impact on your power.
( I wont mention the filter as I never used it, nor did I use the conditioners or food. It was put in an emergency stash)
The bad points about these products to point out:
• The silicone seal on the tank is sloppy, isn’t visually pleasing but at least it’s thorough.
• The heater suction cups broke within months of use and needed to be replaced (cheaply made!!)
• The hinges of my hood were hard to install and after months of use broke. (It hasn’t even been a year and it broke!!!)
• The hood doesn’t allow the space for multiple filters.
• The hood’s protective slot for the light broke, it also gets cloudy after time and needed to be tossed out.
• The in built slot for the hood doesn’t protect the power cord attachment, it gets water spray on it which if you have hard water gets hard water stain and build up on it.
Well in all honesty, the hood, hinges and suction cups are garbage. The LED after it burns out finally will have to be replaced with a whole new strip which can get pricey. But the tank itself which is the most solid component is actually solidly built and trustworthy. The heater too is actually really nice. It might be in someone’s best interest though, to buy items separately. If I had a choice I don’t think I would get the kit again. This tank is also weird in size, and needs a special kind of stand. It’s 24 x 12 x 18. I had a custom cabinet bought for it and only one store was willing to do it for me.
3/5 stars. Would not recommend it.
How it looked before everything broke:
Just to show the less than 6 month old tank lid and the broken pieces (not even going to bother with the suction cups) :
(broken hood with plastic…)
(broken hinge… with very light use, I open the lid twice a day to feed, and until now once every six days to change the water) It wore out fast
protective plastic slot is broken and clouded from hard water. It’s also a pain to remove and clean!
And here is my new hood replacement, and temporary light solution until I can get a large lightstrip:
Hope this helps you guys out, watch out for products like this. What might work for someone sometimes doesn’t work for others!